Author Topic: short forms or sandwich?  (Read 7109 times)

luigi

short forms or sandwich?
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »
I run short of time now.  :-[ I can practice ashtanga for half an hour daily. What do you consider to be better: 1) practicing sun salutation + initial asanas + final asanas or 2) using short-forms, similar to David Swenson`s?
In the first method you use your practice as a sandwich, with variable quantity of asanas in between, depending on time. In the second method you practice different type of asanas (one or two standing, some sitting, etc).

David

Re: short forms or sandwich?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:39:18 PM »
Dear Luigi,
I think either is fine.
Enjoy your practice,
David

Steve

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 07:31:36 AM »
David:
Your response is interesting. There's so much talk of only learning the postures in the sequence that they are presented, that I often become confused.

If I have a natural desire/interest in learning, say, the 2nd series headstands but haven't yet gotten into Eka Pada Sirsana, should I deprive myself until I reach that asana competent in all that comes before or, as you say, "enjoy my yoga" i.e. do the postures that I fancy?

Further to this, I do realise that it's important to do a balanced practice, i.e. only inversions or only twists/backbends etc. over a prolonged period of regular practice will most likely do you an injustice.

ronnie hobbs

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:08:04 AM »
 practicing the same poses won't cause an 'injustice' but rather it's about enjoying your practice!  for example, i enjoy practicing the sandwich method as you described when i am short on time, but perhaps another person enjoys the short forms style.  one is not better than the other.  it's about practicing in a way that you enjoy so that you will continue to practice...for life!