Author Topic: Atlanta workshop, 2004  (Read 11750 times)

Cali

Atlanta workshop, 2004
« on: November 11, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »
Dear David,

This is my top 10 list of favorite things from the workshop:

10. How the practice changed from when you first learned it (I can't
believe that some of the hardest asanas were added rather than part of
the original practice.)
9. Doing Yoga to heal, be in balance, achieve self realization
8. Corpse & the space between thoughts (even though my instructors
told me to observe my breath, for some reason I kept thinking about
how I needed to relax—naturally no relaxation occurred. Now I have to
focus on not falling asleep, which is a bit scary.)
7. The daily minimum (I always wondered what that was)
6. "Chin lock, Root lock, five breaths, Everything should feel
wonderful" (my new mantra)
5. Breathing like an amoeba to stretch
4. Using English and plain language to describe ashtanga yoga
principles, i.e. not just the absence of Sanskrit but also the absence of
anatomy and physiology jargon when describing the physical asanas
3. Abdominal lifts (I never thought I could do these because all the
examples I had moved very fast and I didn't think about doing them
slowly to learn. Good bye situps! By the way, for some reason for me
now the 10 lifts seem easier to do standing and the hold seems easier
to do on hands and knees)
2. Relaxing the ankles and releasing the lower back in upward facing
dog (I haven't quite been able to release the lower back though, i.e. not
doing something is so much harder than doing it)
1. Knees down between up dog and down dog (my feet hurt too much to
roll over them). This is like the discovery of electricity. Do you
have any more good shortcuts for stiff-as-a-board type.

David, this was superb, insightful, and fun. I hope you are able to
come back again.

Cali

Clare

Re: Atlanta workshop, 2004
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 10:38:33 AM »
Hi David,
 I was fortunate enough to get to the Friday and Saturday sessions of your workshop just last weekend here in Atlanta.  I also had the opportunity to attend on your last visit here, when Adele still ran the studio.  I just wanted to tell you that on both occasions you gave me a new insight and motivation to stay with the practice.  I need to put a daily reminder up to say, 'I give you permission to enjoy'.  Thank you for being so down to earth, honest and funny in the bargain.  I got so much out of the weekend and I wanted to thank you properly.

Clare

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 10:50:37 AM »
David,

I am the very pregnant woman who attended your workshop at Atlanta Yoga onThursday, Friday and Sunday! It was wonderful- so nice to be around someone
who is as real and down to earth as you are. Yoga has been a big part of my life for about 8 years now and I truly think it has saved me on many occasions- like when my father passed away two years ago. It really helped
me accept life as it is at that very, very difficult time.
I think you have such a great message.
Thank you again,

Namaste,

Jennifer

Kathy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »
Dear David,

I was at your yoga workshop in Atlanta this past weekend. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it. You are an incredible teacher and I feel very lucky to have been able to spend time with you.
I started doing yoga about two and a half years ago. When I started I had just gotten out of a walking cast and was having severe back problems. I have always believed that yoga would help my back but I knew it would be a
slow process. I have definitely gone through ups and downs in terms of my pain, but lately it has been more down than up. The pain had gotten so bad that putting my shoes on in the morning had become a challenge. This seemed really strange when you consider I am an active 31 year old.  A lot of people had told me maybe this wasn't the right yoga for me.  My teacher told me that I needed to " push through the pain and take some Advil." Both
pieces of advice didn't really seem to be good ideas. The first because I kept thinking..How could something that I love doing not be right for me? Even though I was feeling pain, there was just something about taking time to be on my mat, with my breath that felt absolutely incredible. The second, because I had always believed that pain was your body's way of saying "hey, slow down and pay attention to me...I am letting you know something is not right."  So, when I walked into your workshop and you said, "If it hurts you are doing it wrong," I was overwhelmed with joy. Finally, I felt like I was getting some good advice!
Your workshop amazed me...between your stories and your wisdom I felt completely renewed about my practice. This yoga is something that I love and truly see myself doing for the rest of my life and you restored in me the fact that I can! Your style of simple, straight forward style of teaching is very refreshing. The fact that you have practiced everyday for the last 34 years is inspirational! I really enjoyed hearing what you said about corpse pose. When I would practice at my house I would occasionally rush through corpse and lay still for about a minute. Now, understanding that during that time the prana is going to the places in my body that need healing, it has taken on a whole new meaning.
Thank you so much for passing on all your wisdom (ever think about writing a book?). I enjoyed your workshop and will be looking forward to practicing with you again sometime soon!

Kathy

Gary

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
David,

Thank you for a most wonderful, inspiring, and practical demonstration of Ashtanga Yoga.  I was exposed to so much that resonated with me on such a deep level that the entire workshop was quite spiritual for me.  Thank you for that and perhaps I'll be seeing you in Edinburgh next July.

Thanks,  Gary

Sara

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 08:23:27 AM »
David,

I hope this email finds you well and happy!  I bet you're doing handstands in the ocean right now...!

I REALLY enjoyed the workshop - it was informative, fun, and fabulous - many items were discussed and practiced that I've already incorporated into my own personal practice and my teaching sessions... One of the favorite points you made was (to paraphrase), "The best yogi is not the one that can do a pretzel position, but rather the yogi who leaves a practice having fully enjoyed themself - open, light-hearted, and embracing life."  I really took that to heart and continue to do so with every personal daily practice or session I teach.  I must admit that I had a certain amount of apprehension about attending the workshop, especially after seeing you in the pose (flying insect?) on the home page of your web site.  But I wanted to get Ashtanga exposure and I knew from my own research that you are the master!  So, I overcame my apprehension in favor of my desire to learn, showed up, and voila!, all fears were alleviated.  Your style of delivery is so honest, down-to-earth, cut-to-the-chase, fun, humorous, simple, delightful - I loved it!  Also, during the Thurs and Sat evening sessions, I could have listened for hours - you've lead a very interesting life. 

Between your emphasis of engaging mula bhanda and the philosophies dating back so far and still being so meaningful, I was definitely a student relishing in a new exposure to old ideas.  Thank you so very much for making Atlanta a stop on your journey - I learned much and I feel blessed for having the experience.

Again, thanks also to you, Rhonda, for hosting this workshop in your beautiful studio.

My heart is full...I have so much to share...  Many, many thanks.

Warm, Sunny Namaste,
Sara

John S.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi David,

I hope your travels are continuing down a pleasant path.  It was a real treat to have you here in Atlanta and I thoroughly enjoyed your
workshop as well as just hanging out.  I really hope you will be working on a book someday

Since your visit, I believe many people have been liberated by the strict confines of their beliefs about Ashtanga yoga.  Even people who
did not attend the workshop have picked up on the idea of taking practice to a personal, consistent place.  When I repeat the words and
lessons I learned from you, peoples' faces light up.

Just this weekend I ran into someone who used to come to the studio on a regular basis but now works on the other side of town and cannot realistically make the drive.  She asked me about the workshop because she knows that I hold you in high regard.  When I told her that she already had the knowledge to practice on her own, that frequency was more effective than duration and that she could practice the daily minimum without guilt, she literally broke into tears.  "That's exactly what I needed to hear!"

Peace,

John