Author Topic: Pranayama  (Read 6658 times)

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Pranayama
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
guru, in ashtanga pranayama we have rechaka kumbhaka, puraka kumbhaka, rechaka puraka kumbhaka, samavrtti, visamavrtti, bhastrika, surya bhedana, chandra bhedana, then sitali. besides bhastrika the ratio on inhalation/exhalation is 1:1 in all these breathings. does a time ever come when one incorporates ratios such as 1:4:2:1 to any of these breathings or did guruji not use these in the pranayama circle? i humbly appreciate your wealth of knowledge in this area. namaste-matthew

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Pranayama
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
Dear Matthew,
The pranayama that I learned from Guruji and the one that I practice to this day is the one listed on the syllabus.  We didn't do any other methods together.
1/4/2/1 is a classic standard and I practice it and recommend it in my workshops. 
I mainly do the 1/4/2/1 lying in bed at night with no bandhas, just getting into the breath.  It is useful for jet lag or sleeplessness.
Tests at Maharishi's university showed that meditation results in even greater rest than sleep, so there is the possibility of getting rest using this mindfulness of the breath to bring about chitta vritti nhrode. Usually, the breathing puts me to sleep relatively quickly and the problem of sleeplessness is solved.
Aloha,
David