Author Topic: Krishnamacharya and jalandhara bandha  (Read 7383 times)

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Krishnamacharya and jalandhara bandha
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
Dear Mr Williams,

My name is Alessandro.  i had the privilege to attend your workshop in Italy in Salento.
First, i would like to apologize for writing to you and wasting your time; secondly, i would like to thank you for all the things you shared with us in those few days.

In a few words: after your workshop my journey in yoga carried on and went through many many differrent approaches on the subject...
It seems like every teacher has something different to say about the practice and especially about asana practice, but it is also evident the they have sort of dogma to deal with.

The result is that i became more and more skeptical about what they teach, what they say, and the way they relate to the "subject" of Yoga.

So i started to investigate on my own, trying to get out of the chaos of informations, and also trying to have a clear picture about the "history" of Yoga in order to better understand
who is T.Krishanamacharya, who is P.Jois and the following lineage...unfortunately the only things i can rely on are books.
I'm actually collecting all the informations and the books about T.Krishnamacharya, trying to trace back the practice of ashtanga.
It is a hard duty, especially because i have to rely on the translation of these books which sometimes is not very clear, even if my knowledge of sanskrit is very little.

Because of this reason i ask for your help.
I can remember that you showed us a copy of a book from Krishnamacharya himself where it was written clearly about the use of Jalandhara bandha.  I remember on that book there were pictures of K. doing asanas.  But i don't remember exactely the name of the book....was it Yoga Makaranda? or Yoga Granthamala?
Yoga Makaranda is no more available, and Granthamala has no indications like that...

Hope to have been not boring.

best regards,

Alessandro

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: Krishnamacharya and jalandhara bandha
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
Dear Alessandro,
Nice that you have written.  I am glad that you liked my workshop.
Your question is not difficult and you are not boring me.
The book that I showed you was a photocopy of Yoga Makaranda, by T. Krishnamacharya, first published in 1934.  In it, on pages 25-26, Krishnamacharya states, "Where head position is not specified jalandhara bandha (chin lock) is to be practiced."  This book is not easy to find, but some people have photo copies and I was given one.  As you noticed, there were numerous photos of Krishnamacharya demonstrating forward bending postures and doing jalandhara bandha in every one.
(Also, if you recall seeing any photos of Pattabhi Jois demonstrating forward bending asanas, he is doing jalandhara bandha in every one, without exception.)
However, for your research, in Krishnamacharya, His Life and Teachings, by A.G. Mohan, the statement, "Where head position is not specified jalandhara bandha (chin lock) is to be practiced," is quoted on page 146, line 6, in an appendix giving excerpts from the Yoga Makaranda, offering advice for success in the practice of asanas.  This book is available from Amazon.com.
I will be teaching at Triopetra, on the beach on Crete, for 2 weeks this summer, from July 23 until August 6, if you want to continue your practice of asanas and pranayama with me.
Before the practice of yoga, the theory is useless.  After the practice of yoga, the theory is obvious.
Aloha,
d
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:09:38 PM by David Williams »