Author Topic: Teacher certification  (Read 11595 times)

lotusKingNOT

• View Profile
Teacher certification
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:08:02 AM »
Dear David,

Why is it necessary to go to Mysore, India for X number of months, years, etc. to be considered a "real" Ashtanga teacher?  I understand the desire to get the authentic feel of Mysore, but why can't a person learn what they need to know about Ashtanga in the US, or Europe, or where ever the person is from?  I pretty new to Ashtanga, and I like it a great deal.  I just think that sometimes Ashtangis come off as "yoga snobs", where if a teacher does not come from the correct linage, then he or she is a fake.  Don't get me wrong, I am not for those people who take a few classes, and declare themselves a guru, but at the same time, why is some teacher who has never been to Mysore, but has practiced for years with senior teachers, any less regarded than a person who makes a few trips to Mysore, and has SPKJ's approval?

Thanks,

JW

davidmaui

Re: Teacher certification
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 03:32:23 PM »
Dear JW,
That's a fair question which should be addressed to SKPJ.
OM,
David

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 12:18:39 PM »
I think it's more about paying respect to Guruji. It's the principle that if you're going to be profiting from something that this amazing man devoted his entire life to developing beginning from a very young age, you should see where it really came from and what this great person is all about.

Guest 2

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:21:55 AM »
Ashtanga Yoga was NOT created by SKPJ nor is it anyone's right to claim ownership to any form of yoga.  If people wish to pay (literally) respects that is fine... if not that should also be fine!

Simon

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 03:37:26 PM »

Hey David

I think that it is important to remember that as yogis we are opperating within a tradition which has, over time, developed its own guidelines. i think it is important to remember that they are just that... they are GUIDElines. Think about what being a 'real' teacher means to you and go from there.  As within any tradition there are those who frown upon those who do not conform to the (said) guidelines (this is how progress is made) but this will always be the case with those who are ruled by their ego because different things are important to them. and so any deviation from their idea of how things should be only challenges their ego, not yoga. in relation to listening to the opinions of others...listen to yourself, what feels right for you? yoga can only ever be what it means to you.... nothing more.
I hope this helps
Namaste Ohm Shanti
Sy x