Author Topic: Ashtanga and Football  (Read 10087 times)

Rob

Ashtanga and Football
« on: September 28, 2004, 06:27:35 PM »
David

Wonder if you had any thoughts regarding Ashtanga and sport. After years of playing football my hips were very tight. I expect that this is a result of the hip flexors and other muscles/ connective tissue becoming tight to protect against injury.

I have retired from football now and my hips are starting to open.

As a way of staying involved I teach Ashtanga to a proffesional football team. They really enjoy the challenge of the practice but  they too are incredibly tight through the hamstrings and hips. I am working through this with them and they are improving their flexibility - however I have a nagging worry that these muscles are tight for a reason - and if so am are they increasing their chance of injury through becoming more flexible in these areas ?

Many thanks for your advice.

Rob

David

Re: Ashtanga and Football
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 04:50:28 PM »
Dear Rob,

You asked if I have any thoughts on Ashtanga and sports.  I have never thought about this much, so I practiced samyama (complete absorbtion) on your question for a week before replying.

I do not play football and am not a sports medicine doctor.  I really don't feel qualified to advise you on football exercises.  As you suggested, there may be a greater chance of injury, and injury is something that neither of us wants to happen.

Going back to basics, though, I can remind you that the word, "yoga" and the word, "meditation" are synonyms.  According to Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, "yoga is cessation of the fluctuations of the mind".  For those not born with the good fortune to be experiencing a "state of yoga", certain yoga practices have been used for thousands of years to bring about this state of mental peace and clarity.  Practices used to bring about a "state of yoga" are "yoga practices".  The same outwardly appearing practices for purposes other than bringing about a state of meditation are not yoga.  They may externally appear the same, but with a different ambition and mentality, they will/may have a different result.  For questions concerning football exercises, I recommend that you consult a football trainer or a sports medicine physician.

I wish you all the best with your yoga practice and commend you on your involvement in sharing with others.

Good luck,

David