Author Topic: how far  (Read 10237 times)

Dhalsim

how far
« on: August 04, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »
Hello David,
I am self taught and have never been to a teacher yet since I have been practicing yoga {ashtanga} an there is no teacher around except for a non ashtanga shala were there are a only women in these classes. Should I go to these classes to learn alignment or should I continue to emulate the movements of my teachers{you and Swenson} on the videos.  Also, should I stop at the first pose that i cant do or do I continue through the series doing modifications.  I get into trouble at Parivritta Parsvakonasana, Ardha Badda Padmottanasana and cannot bind any Mari's. but am strong enough to get through it all.
Thank you David

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: how far
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 12:39:14 AM »
Dear Dhalsim,
Where do you live?
David

dhalsim

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 01:11:31 AM »
In Iowa,  in a little town called dubuque.

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:42:03 PM »
Dear Dhalsim,
Keep practicing on your own.  There is not much use in going to a non-ashtanga class to learn ashtanga.  Do the asanas in a way that is comfortable, so that you can constantly focus on the mulabandha and deep breathing.  It is fine to make modifications and continue since you have the stamina.
OM,
David

Rincy Francis

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 06:03:58 AM »
Dear David

I love your teachings and approach and wondered if you had ever considered making a DVD to help pass the teachings on to those who cannot make your workshop.

Namaskar