Author Topic: Pulsating with mulabanda  (Read 7818 times)

CliffWilkie

• View Profile
Pulsating with mulabanda
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
Is it "correct" to pulsate with the breath somewhat while doing asanas?

After your class in Salt Lake City I pretty much started all over again with Ashtanga and began placing the entire focus on mulabanda and breathing and how much prana that would bring through my body.  Consequently I no longer stretch into asanas I breath into them and let the stretching pretty much take care of itself.  So now when I do asanas it's a bit more "kinematic" than static.  I wanted to know if this was correct.

In other words I don't stretch to the limit and hold it there for five breathes.  I go into an asana to a comfort point then let my body go further in rhythm with my breathing.  So when I'm doing Sirsasana A (headstand) I go up and down somewhat.  I relax mulabanda a little bit, and pull in a deep breath.  Then I gradually tighten mulabanda as I exhale.  As the mulabanda tightens and I exhale more, I push up a bit with my arms and move my balance point from my head to my arms.  I almost lift my head off the ground with my arms as mulabanda tightens.  After exhaling I release mulabanda a bit and go back down on my head.  So I'm going up and down a little rather than remaining still.  I do the same with all the asanas.  With Prasarita Padottanasana D I take my head all the way down as I tighten mulabanda then relax a bit on the inhale.  My head comes up a bit then goes back down further on the next exhale.  So I don't remain static but with each exhalation and tightening of mulabanda my body takes itself further into the stretch pretty much all by itself.  This seems very natural to me and I usually find myself further into various asanas than before.  I don't know of anyone else that does this movement thing.  Is this correct or should one remain at full extension and more stationary with each breath?

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: Pulsating with mulabanda
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »
Dear Cliff,
Yes, from what you have stated, you are practicing correctly.
Aloha,
David