Author Topic: Dusseldorf workshop, 2009  (Read 6643 times)

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Dusseldorf workshop, 2009
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »
Dear David,

Words cannot express how happy I am now that I was taking part at your valuable workshop in Düsseldorf  .. but let me try with my "german english" :-)

I started with Ashtanga Dec 2008 on a new year-retreat and I really enjoyed learning the asanas. My plan for 2009: learning the complete primary series. So I stand on the mat every morning until end of march. Marichyasana D worked for me.

Then again I went to a Ashtanga retreat and there I figured out that my practice was full of pain and abnormal ambition. So when I came back home my injuries had to heal first before continuing.
In that time I asked myself, is ashtanga a competitive sports, or is this just european mentality, is this painful path really needed to get enlightened one day ... maybe yes ... or maybe I will understand when the painand injuries stop someday ... with these thoughts in my mind during my practice my motivation curve went continuously down, nevertheless my pretension still was to practise and even teach yoga. I unknowingly began softening my practice and it felt better.

My wife came across something by chance - David Williams in Germany, so no doubt we had to go there, getting the needed answers and experiences directly from the root of ashtanga yoga - from a headliner who is practicing yoga day-to-day without hurting himself, started in the year there I was born  - wow ..  how does he do that? 

And now I understand .... it's all about P R A N A - enjoying a dogmatic free practice (even eyes closed is allowed :-) , concentrating on the depth of each in- and exhalation, tighten Mula bandha as hard as I can .. understanding the importance of Jalandara bandha. Now this is meditation in movement - body mind and soul gets fed and healed from prana -- wonderful.

When I now wake up in the morning, it's such a thrill to starting with Nadi-Pranayama, practice first series and finally to lying down and feeling the self-healing process in me.

You really saved my belief in the path of the eight limbs. My aim is to become a real yogi now until end of my lifetime - I promise !!

It would be a great honor meeting you again, maybe at Ashtanga Yoga Mela in 2010 .. who knows ;-)

Peace * Om * Aloohaaaa
 Frederick

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: Dusseldorf workshop, 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
Hi David,

You probably get lots of "Thank you!"-Emails like this one but may be even a "big" Yogi from time to time needs a bit of confirmation to be on the right track to continue. So here there is another one.

I am the older guy from your Dusseldorf workshop who learned from the R.Freeman DVD and asked you many questions. Don't fear! No questions today, just thanks for changing or better "revolutionizing" my "Yoga world view". After 2 years of torturing myself in my Ashtanga practice thanks to you I now have a totally different attitude which can be expressed in one sentence: "Who cares whether I will ever be able to do Head Stand or not? It doesn't matter."
(And that is coming from somebody who was quite ambitious all his life.)

Having been just a few days ago the second time in a workshop, I was shocked after the participants should introduce themselves with one or two sentences, because it was going like this: "Hi, I am Anna from Munich; I have a hamstring injury"; "Hi, I am Sabine from Frankfurt; I have this and that injuries" and so on. It was like those guys defined themselves through their Ashtanga injuries and I thought "Oh my God, that's unbelievable; what would David say?" (but surely you are used to those stories).

I am sure each single workshop you are holding prevents lots of injuries. I therefore very much hope that you will be able to give many more workshops in the years to come to spread your philosophy about how Ashtanga should be practiced and what Yoga really is about.

Thanks,

Said