Author Topic: Mula Bhanda  (Read 8798 times)

CliffWilkie

• View Profile
Mula Bhanda
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
I have some questions about Mula Bhanda and breathing that hopefully you can answer. 

At your recent workshop in Salt Lake City I asked you how tightly to hold Mula bhanda.  My experience had led me to believe that holding it lightly would produce the desired result.  You said that one should hold Mula Bhanda tightly as comfortable and that as time goes by one develops a great deal of core strength that enables one to hold Mula Bhanda quite tightly and, in fact, one should endevour to squeeze tightly enough to "crack walnuts".  Quite a metaphor indeed!

1.  Well, as per instructions, I have made a fundamental change and started squeezing the Mula Bhanda muscles quite tightly.  (It's kinda hard to talk about all this).  In particular, as I exhale I squeeze tighter to expel the last vestiges of air in my lungs.  This feels right but does make me want to relax the muscles a bit as I begin the next inhale.  The muscles are tight from squeezing on the exhale so I have to somewhat relax them to begin the inhale.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?  Please advise.

2.  I also notice that if I squeeze mula bhanda tightly and also hold uddiyana bhanda I cannot expel as much air from my lungs as if I relax the udiyana bhanda.  I think this is the way I'm supposed to be doing it but wanted to check.  If I suck in my stomach when I exhale I can expel much more air than if I exhale while keeping the udiyana bhanda tight.  Just wanted to know if I was doing this correctly before I went much further with it.

I really enjoyed your workshop in Salt Lake City.  Changed my whole point of view towards yoga.  Thanks!

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: Mula Bhanda
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »
Dear Cliff,
As you said, this is difficult to verbalize, but I think your observation of what is going on with the mulabandha while breathing is very accurate.  Your description is much more detailed than mine in class and is totally correct.
I am glad that you enjoyed the workshop.  I hope we will get to practice together in Mexico in January.
Aloha,
David