Author Topic: Tat Wala Baba  (Read 35922 times)

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Tat Wala Baba
« on: July 18, 2004, 03:50:29 AM »
Dear David,
I am very happy that You plan to come to Zagreb. I love Yoga from my childhood and someone like You who likes and lives Yoga so sinceraly I feel like my brother. I am sending You photo of one himalayan Yogi Tatvala Baba, on this photo he had about 150 years.

With best wishes to You and Your family

Jadranko

Dear Jadranko,
Greetings from Maui! 
I have been home for 2 days. Swimming in the ocean is great...but I also had a wonderful time in Europe.
Did I tell you that I met Tat Wala Baba at his cave in Rishikesh in 1972?  I asked him, as a big Yogi to a little Yogi, if he had any advice for me.  He told me to get my belongings and come live in the cave beside his and practice Yoga.  I was so happy!  My visa was about to expire and I had a flight to the USA in 2 days.  I asked him if I could leave and return.  He said "yes".
I returned to India as quickly as possible and went directly to Rishikesh to move in with Tal Wala Baba.  When I arrived, I was told that he had been murdered a few months earlier.  Each day at sunrise, he would go to the Ganges to bathe.  He was found dead, shot in the back.  The murderer was never caught, as far as I know.  Even now, 32 years later, I am still greatly saddened by the memory. 
I wish you all the best.  We will stay in touch.
Yours in Yoga,
David

Pete Stocker

Re: Tat Wala Baba
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:07:37 AM »
Hi David

What a story... Can you post the picture of Yogi Tatvala Baba that Jadranko sent you? I'd love to see this great Yogi.

Om Tat Sat

yogaboss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 05:50:10 AM »
Here is the picture of Tat Wala Baba

Lee

Re: Tat Wala Baba - Practical question
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 11:04:45 AM »
The "type A" personality in me begs this question - what exactly did you do after finding out he had been murdered? You planned, probably begged, borrowed and sold stuff to get back there, got to the cave, and he wasn't there? I assume at that point you didn't just go to a Holiday Inn and hang out...

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »
Dear Lee,

I stayed in Rishikesh for a few more days and then went to South India and subsequently began learning the Ashtanga Yoga series in Mysore from K. Pattabhi Jois.  I became the 1st non-Indian to learn the entire Ashtanga system of asanas and pranayama from him and have  practicing that system daily ever since.

Yours in Yoga,
David

Daye Proffit

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 09:41:38 AM »
I just found this that I see is an old posting, and I thought I would add some thoughts anyway. The story I heard about Tat Wala Baba's shooting is that it was a confused follower who wanted to prove that Tat Wala Baba was immortal, and that Tat Wala Baba had expected it it in that he had been a soldier in WWI and had shot someone in the opposing force back then. Who knows? My favorite story about him, however, is one in which a visiting woman from England said something like, "Oh, Baba, you really must come visit England," to which he replied, "Madam, I AM England."

jacques louis

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:59:56 AM »
thank you to Jadranko and david
 40years ago,I stayed around  tat wala baba
I, receive initiation of mantra yoga from him  he had a great impact on  me,and I
felt that  he protected me a lots from evil karma of my erratic life
I told him that I was a very hot and bad tempered men,disregarding the fact that my deepest wish,was to become a good man,I could not
his answer was ,no ,you are a good man it is only that you inferior nature is overcoming you
I'am steel very emotional,when i think of him
thank you for the photo it reactivate so many thing,I had the nearly same photo that tat wala baba gave me,
one day I throw the photo into the ganga river,(probably to prove myself in a very childish yay that i was free ) to day the same photois coming yo me,and it make  me cry of inner joy, for the great spirit of God is really wityhin us  I bow to your life we are all blessed   thank you 

lutherm1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
David pointed out to me that there is a wonderful online book on the life of Tat Wale Baba here:

http://www.yogiphotos.com

A link to this has also been been added to the 'Articles' section of the ashtangayogi website.