Author Topic: How hard to try to do the asanas?  (Read 8704 times)

grzes

• View Profile
How hard to try to do the asanas?
« on: August 18, 2004, 11:03:15 AM »
Dear David,

I would like to take the possibility of asking someone so experienced.

I have been practicing ashtanga for nearly 2 years now, most of the time around 5 times a week, first series up to bujapidasana, maybe a few postures more from the rest of the series. My postures are not perfect and certinaly I cannot do he half-lotus postures due to some old knee problems.

Most of the time I feel quite sore the next morning. During the day I usually fell great but the next morning it is often very hard to start again. On the other hand when I have some days of a break the practice seems to be easier and I am more flexible.

So my question is whether I am pushing to hard trying to get into the postures or whether this soreness is inevitable and if one practices a long enough time it will pass?

Thanks in advance
   Grzes
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:07:10 AM by grzes »

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: How hard to try to do the asanas?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:00:19 PM »
Dear Grzes,
If you are feeling "quite sore" in the morning, then you probably are "pushing it too hard".
Personally, I think daily practice for the rest of one's life is more beneficial than sporatic practice interrupted by pain that makes practice impossible or undesirable.
I suggest that you try practicing in a way that is pleasant and leaves you feeling good for the rest of the day and looking forward to the next day's practice.  Yoga practice is to increase one's prana, whether it is Ashtanga Yoga or any other form.  Nothing decreases prana more than pain.  Hurting yourself more will not make you hurt less.  From my observation of myself and thousands of others over more than 30 years, if one practices in a way that causes soreness, the soreness doesn't pass; the enthusiasm to practice Yoga passes.  As Guruji once told me many years ago, "Yoga can cure anything except problems caused by improper Yoga practice".
Good luck,
David

grzes

• View Profile
Re: How hard to try to do the asanas?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 02:17:39 PM »
Hello David,

Thanks a lot for your advice. It is exaclty how you put it. Once you are sore the next day you actually feel tired. When I think about it actually probably it would be impossible to go on like this all my life. During my recent holidays I have been practicing less b/c of travelling, laziness etc. and now the practice is so much better which is probably due to the rest period.
I will try to experiment a bit with the intensity - I suppose once you are "going" it is so easy to push oneself - only the next day you feel tired.
Actually I wanted to add that it is a great idea that we have a possibility to ask for advice someone with so much experience direclty.
Thanks
  Grzesiek
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 12:05:21 AM by grzes »