Author Topic: How to enjoy yoga?  (Read 7731 times)

Lina

How to enjoy yoga?
« on: July 08, 2006, 01:40:37 AM »
Dear David,

I am always thinking how I can truly enjoy practice without comparing others.

As you said in the open letter to students, I would love to enjoy practicing.  However, I get accustomed to comparing and competing with others.  I had been trying not to do, but always failed.   I may have been pushing my limitation during practice, that's why I was injured.

I cannot even concentrate on dristi when I am distracted by various kinds of mind, such as who an instructer are going to adjust, whether a person in front of me can do this asana while I cannot, what I should do after practice, etc. 

How can I enjoy practicing, getting rid of all of mind??
How can I concentrate on my practice without seeing anything but dristi?

After my injury recovers, I hope my stance towards practice will change to continue yoga with happiness for the rest of my life.

Please advise.

Best regards,
Lina

David Williams

• Administrator
  • Aloha
    • View Profile
Re: How to enjoy yoga?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:32 AM »
Dear Lina,
You have asked yourself, and me, the right question.  You appear to be ready to start again at step one and begin the practice of Yoga, the real Yoga.  Yoga is cessation of the fluctuations of the mind (line 2, Patanjali´s Yoga Sutras).  ¨Yoga¨, ¨meditation¨, and ¨zen¨are synonyms.  Meditation is simply the space between the last thought and the next thought.  Yoga is that space in the middle.
Your question indicates that you are really ready to get into Yoga.  It has nothing to do with the form. 
Try this: 
Practice alone in a silent room.  Practice the ¨real Yoga¨for the first time, with constant mulabandha and continuous deep breathing.  One pointed concentration on what you are doing and nothing else. When you realize that a thought has arisen, dismiss it and go back to the mulabandha and deep breathing.  Once you introduce your mind to the state of Yoga, your mind will love it, look forward to it, and gradually feel comfortable maintaining this state of consciousness throughout the practice and eventually, more and more into every waking moment.  This is Yoga.
All the best to you,
David
P.S. 
Do nothing to ever hurt yourself again in any way.  Don´t hurt anyone else and don´t let anyone hurt you.

Lina

Re: How to enjoy yoga?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your message.

Although I intended to understand that Yoga is not only asanas, I had not practiced in that way.  As you wrote, it may be the time to change my mind for practicing.   

I will try to give my whole attention to asking my body and concentrate on breathing and bandhas as you advised.

When I get a clue to get into real Yoga in the true sense of the term, I will tell you!!

Love with Yoga,
Lina