Author Topic: Kripalu workshop 2006  (Read 15909 times)

Devaki

Kripalu workshop 2006
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:40:32 PM »
I found David Williams to be a VERY powerful transmitter of yoga
shakti.  What I received while I was in the room listening to him,
in THAT moment, was extremely subtle, in THAT moment. And when
I went home the very first night I ended up doing postures for hours
and fell asleep with his words running through my head waking up the next day to faint dreams of doing amazing continuous postures in exotic locations.  I have only had this experience previously when I have been with someone that is able to transmit shakti either through direct shaktipat diksha or by being with a master teacher like Rama Berch or Yoganand or being with Ammaji.
In the past 9 years I have attended programs, and/or trainings, and darshans with a good majority of the major yoga teachers in the world teaching at this time.  Being in the presence of someone that has had a continuous asana & pranayama practice for more than 30 years and remains an open conduit of pure shakti is hard to come by.  He moves dross in a very sweet and subtle way. His shakti is not abrupt, violent, or clingy.  What someone like that gives to people just by showing up is truly a gift for any practitioner or nonpractitioner.  I felt that the lectures and talking were a sweet coating for the intense transmission of the actual shakti yoga.  I believe that there were people in that room that didn't realize what they'd gotten from David's program until long after they had filled out those evaluations and gotten back to their lives. David's program was called "Ashtanga for Life" and his main focus was to convey to us an enthusiasm, longing, and acceptance for our practice and give us the seeds to cultivate our home practice, our lifelong solitary practice, as "a moving meditation".  Any semi-sensitive practioner would surely have realized this about him after the first night.  It seemed as though there were people in the room that had no intention of deepening their home practice or didn't fully understand that practicing for life means many many times of practicing alone when you don't want to, or when you think you can't do it alone.  That's what David was all about.  A home practice is the MOST difficult kind of practice that westerners can attempt. They will say they want it, they will sign up for programs to try to learn it, but I think, for a great majority, this is not truly what they want, so I can only guess there would have been guests that wanted him to do a lot more so they wouldn't have to.  He is subtle as a technical asana teacher.

Blessings,
Devika

Karin

Re: Kripalu workshop 2006
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:52:18 PM »
Dear David,
I met you at Kripalu two weekends ago.  I wanted to let you know that since your workshop I have been so much more relaxed about practicing.  I have been able to keep a daily practice and most importantly, have enjoyed my time on the mat.  I am so glad that I attended your workshop. 
Karin

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
Hi David,

I was at your Kripalu workshop this weekend.   I just wanted to  thank you for the best led ashtanga class I have ever attended.  I have never felt so pain-free and energized after my practice--and I've been practicing for 6 years!  I also wanted to thank you for the yoga background information.  I am a high school English teacher and your information was quite valuable.  I teach Herman Hesse's Siddhartha in a World Lit. course and much of your information about India was applicable and VERY helpful.  You've obviously studied these subjects for quite some time!

Finally, and to me, most importantly, I found your honest and forthright approach to the practice refreshing and eye-opening at the same time.  I appreciate your stance on adjustments vs. hard-core assists.  Personally, ashtanga has been a life-changing force and I hope you continue to encourage people to find "firm, comfortable postures" instead of torturing themselves and others.  I truly enjoyed your classes and hope to practice again with you someday.  Thank you and namaste.

Sincerely,
Lyn

Arne

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »

Hey David. It was great seeing you again at Kripalu, although the only thing that I dislike, was the fact that there was no pool table to have (me, you, hahaha) another lesson during the days. As for the workshop, I can say that I understood what a practice means whatever this one is, and that no matter what you do or how far and deep you go, you'll always have something to learn.
It doesn't matter what you do, it only matters that it's done.
I hope to see you soon again.
Big Hug.
ALOHA!!!
                  Arne.