Author Topic: Kripalu workshop - March 9-12, '06  (Read 5813 times)

Saundra

Kripalu workshop - March 9-12, '06
« on: December 16, 2005, 12:03:36 PM »
I would be interested in possibly taking your workshop at Kripalu in March (9-12). 

I am very much a beginner.  I practiced Ashtanga for a year and a half and loved the way my body and mind responded to it.  After my teacher moved, I had trouble finding another teacher (in South Carolina) and I couldn't maintain a home practice.

I have been doing other kinds of yoga (basically whatever is available) a few times a week.   When I travel and I am able to take an Ashtanga class, it reminds me of how much I love it and miss it, but it has been two years since I have practiced Ashtanga regularly.  I have been able so be more consistent with a meditation practice.

Would your workshop be open to a beginner like me?  I feel like it would help me get back to a personal practice.  Do you have suggestions on what I could do to 'prepare' in 10 weeks?  What I can read, what I can do?  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Saundra

David

Re: Kripalu workshop - March 9-12, '06
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:51:06 PM »
Dear Saundra,
Thanks for writing.  I am looking forward to the Kripalu workshop.  It should be fun.  I think that you will enjoy it. 
You said that you want to get back to your personal practice.  That is the exact goal of the workshop.   The name of the workshop is "Ashtanga Yoga for the Rest of Your Life". The aim to figure out how each person can practice in the most enjoyable, energizing way.  You will hear me say at the workshop, "The one who enjoys their practice the most today is the one most likely to practice again tomorrow." 
You called yourself a beginner, but it sounds like you have a good foundation.  I expect that there will be some people at the workshop with even less experience than you.  That is fine.  We will start at the beginning and go from there.  I will explain everything and answer every question.  I will encourage each person to make each practice session the most enjoyable ever.  I will put down my mat and practice with you in the same way.
As far as preparations, I suggest that each day you try to do at least the "ashtanga yoga daily minimum".
That is 3 of each Salutation to the Sun and the 3 finishing postures.  If you have more time, then go into the standing postures and do as much (or as little as you want), focusing on making it enjoyable as possible.  For background reading, I suggest the 5 articles on my website and the "workshop feedback letters", which will give you a better idea of what to expect. 
Please write again if you have more questions.  I look forward to meeting you and practicing Yoga together.
All the best to you.
Yours in Yoga,
David